Thursday, April 10, 2014

Dye Aventures!!!

Okay, so I had this really drab browish-tweed fabric so I decided that since my silk fabric dye could also dye wool, I'd give it a shot!

First thing I forgot, wool gets super heavy when it gets wet....so heavy that it collapsed my makeshift closeline strung from one end of the bath to the shower head!
In my haste to catch it, I forgot that it was DYE and that I had no gloves on. I became a purple monster!!

After madly trying to wash off the dye, I remembered my trusty dying pot, so I shoved the fabric in the pot! I then remembered that the dye would probably be splotchy so I added some rubbing alcohol to the mix to try and even out the color....

Basically it looks like the shadiest thing in the world. It looks like I murdered someone in my bathtub!!  On another note, I let the fabric dry overnight on my showerhead...

The next day I had to set the color with either a steam machine or ironing each section for 3 mins.

It actually ended up being really easy to iron! It ended up taking a while, but the color looks great with a purple undertone.  Ha ha ha! I totally wanted to dress up for this part and take silly pictures! It was a dream come true!
See you next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment