Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Rydia Headdress part one!

So, Rydia has a beautiful two-piece headdress that I really wanted to re-create. In my research for flexible molds minus all the silicone and all that lovely toxic expensive stuff I can't usually afford.
I came up with the answer to everyone's problems, non toxic Instamorph!

Apparently all you have to do is boil it, and mold it with your hands! So I grabbed my handy cheap-o tongs and my beautiful candy thermometer!

And unfortunately I wasn't paying attention and let the heat get up to 200+ instead of just 140 degrees.

 So I had a lovely pear break with the pretty pears I've ever seen. Aren't these lovely? They're an old world strain called Abate Fatale. It was really hard to find any information on them besides that, but I think they are a gorgeous shape!

It was really easy to pull out, it stuck all together. I found it was a little like working with taffy, you can't rush it, but it's very pliable.

It hardens fairly quickly, so I kept having to boil and reshape it again and again.

And yeah! I think it looks really great!

No comments:

Post a Comment