Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Beginning of the hat!

The next challenge for the costume is the versatile hat Nausicaa sports. Not only does it have cool goggles embedded in it, it also looks stylish when she pulls it back!

Needless to say, I've never actually sewed a hat before, so this part is a little daunting...Especially since all the cosplay costumes I've seen, everyone skips out on actually being able to use those cool goggles! So, first things first, I needed to create a template for that hat!

Wizard one! Wizard two!
I cut two little rounded wizard hats from a scrap piece of fabric. This hat is a modified pilot's hat, meaning the back was going to be easy peasy, but I needed to create that pointed tip at the top. I cut the pieces bigger than I thought I would need and then sewed them together.
Cut and sew again!
My first try was a little too big and pointy, so I took it down until it fit the front.
Then I measured a small piece of fabric around the circumference of my head to make the hat fit, and sewed the two front pieces to that!
Measure twice, cut once! Then measure again and cut again...
Then I neatly folded the two pieces together and laid them ontop of yet another scrap piece. I drew the outline of the back from that measuring point! Sorry, the sharpie didn't really show up... :'(
It was all coming together.


No comments:

Post a Comment