Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Nausicaa hat! Where do I cut holes?

I left off the last post where I finished the template of Nausicaa's hat. The next part was were the trouble started!
I decided that since Nausicaa's goggles are a little more oval shaped than most of the others in the movie, purchasing some swim goggles would be perfect!

With helpful guide to wearing!
Ta da! But the best part about these were the overly informative picture instructions! I thought it was so funny I took a picture! I wish they came with captions underneath...Maybe I can improvise! First box, "What are these?!" Second box, "I can see my dreams coming true!" Third box, "Ready for some serious action shots!!"
It's really hard to take a picture when you can't see!

So the next step was trying to measure where these suckers were going to go in comparison to the template hat. I put the template hat on, put the goggles over it, and then traced the goggles with a sharpie, thinking maybe I could just wear the goggles underneath the hat without any messy sewing.
Sharpie-rific!
Then I took the hat and cut where the holes were to see if my original plan would work. Which I don't think it will anymore. those oval goggles require some serious sewing skills.
At any rate, I went ahead with my template to start the hat. I figured that since the fabric is so different it won't really make a difference if I kept fooling around with the template.
Circumference of the head headband!
hat all together!


Pins mark where the goggles need to go.
I think I'm going to have to create a double hat and sew those beautiful goggles into the hat...I'll work on it tonight and keep you posted! All in all, I'm excited to see how it works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment