Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Not wood, not good.


I have tried used Speedball's "woodblocks" before, with horrible results. One block completely fell apart into feta cheese, the other one crack in half! But this time I decided to give it a try once again. It actually wasn't too bad. This time I bought a mounted linoleum block, which is basically plastic on particle board. It was nice to be able to cut tiny lines and holes without the block chipping, but I felt it lost a lot of it's soul along the way. I like working with wood because it was something alive, it almost has it's own personality ingrained in it (ingrained! Get it?) The linoleum block was a little too perfect. It's a nice work, but not my best, or even close to my best.
It also hated the water-based ink! Even when it's completely dry, if you brush against it, you'll have dry black ink all over your hands!
Water-based = fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment